Child Welfare Facts and Figures
- In Ontario, there are 50 designated Children’s Aid Societies. Thirteen are Indigenous Child and Family Well-Being agencies and three are faith-based (two Catholic and one Jewish).
In the fiscal year 2021-2022*:
- On a monthly average, there were almost 8,600 children and youth in care.
- Nearly 60% of those in care or receiving supports were youth aged 16-20+ (as of the end of the fiscal year).
- There was over 7,300 full-time equivalent staff.
- More than 114,000 calls and referrals were made. Approximately 61,000 of these required a full child protection investigation.
- The rest of these referrals did not require a full investigation and/or were referred to services available in the community.
- Of the investigations that were completed, 85% did not require further protection.
* These numbers were reported from 38 non-Indigenous member agencies. They are derived from the Q4 2021-2022 Ministry Quarterly Reports (as of August 25, 2022).